The FLC pastors ledger begins in 1850. The first pastor was Rev. J.F. Gueben in 1850. It it is not known why he abandoned his work here, but in the later part of 1850 he departed Galveston Island, leaving the Lutherans without any pastor. In 1851, five young men just graduated from the seminary at St. Chrischona, Switzerland landed in Galveston to do missionary work among the scattered Germans in the then wild state of Texas.